Jackie over at Literary Escapism is hosting this mini-challenge. Here's Jackie's description and rules for the challenge:
Has everyone heard of the League of Reluctant Adults? It’s a group of UF/PNR authors who are simply hilarious if you follow them at all. I’ve talked with quite a few of them, but I haven’t tried nearly enough of them. I keep hearing all these great things about their novels and I’m way beyond feeling that I’m missing out and my excuse of “needing to get through my review stack” is no longer acceptable. So for the month of February, I’m challenging everyone to join me and try a few of the different authors from the League.
If you haven’t tried anything in the UF/PNR genre yet, then now is definitely the time to do it. Here are the pertinent details for the challenge:
- You do not have to be a participant of the New Authors Challenge, but if you’re not, why not?
- The Challenge will run from February 1st through the 28th. All reviews must have a February 2010 date.
- The goal is to read up to 5 different authors from the above list. There are 20 different authors, so inding three shouldn’t be too hard.
- The idea is to try a new author (it is a New Author mini-challenge), however, if you’ve already read all 20 of them, you can still participant, but don’t re-read a novel. Try something new. Not only is this an excuse to try a certain group of authors, but it’s also a great chance to help promote them.
To add a little incentive for this mini-challenge, I’m going to offer up a prize too. At the end of February, for every review posted, I’ll give each participant an entry (up to 5) to win their book of choice from one of the above authors. The contest is open to wherever the Book Depository delivers.
If you are trying a new author, make sure you include them in your list for the main New Authors Challenge.
Update: The Leaguers seem to love this idea and have offered a great list of prizes (some of which you’ll see in the comments). As such, I’m going to be putting up a new post on February 1st for all reviews for the mini challenge. There’s going to be an extra chance for everyone to get their names in the hat and in order to do that, I’ll need a fresh comment stream. *grin* It’ll make it easier on me at the end. Happy reading everyone!
The Nymphos of Rocky Flats by Mario Acevedo
- Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper
- Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding
Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler
- Once Bitten Twice Shy by Jennifer Rardin
- Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland (Yeah, I know the challenge only requires 5. What can I say? I'm an overachiever.)
THIS CHALLENGE IS NOW CLOSED
And here's how I did:
I guess I should be happy I wasn't getting graded on this. =/